Friday, May 12, 2006


Hey ya'll, well my program is truly winding down. Most people leave next wednesday although I am in Tanzania until the 31st. It really is ridiculous how fast time flies, and I'm not only talking about the time I've spent here. The 11th marked ten years since my mom passed away and I really can't believe it's been that long. My dad recently sent around some pictures, one of which I included above. Such a very long time ago! that was from 1968. I honestly don't know how to react to 10 years, it's a helluva long time. I think i've adjusted rather well, but i don't know that I can really judge that. What can I say is that I have been pretty lucky in many other ways, I mean how many 21 year olds can say they have lived in Iceland and Tanzania??

I am currently hanging out at my directors house. tonight we had our final dinner where we talked about our posters and ate delicious food. Now only 5 of us are left (well, actually 6, but michelle is asleep on one of the couches), but we've managed to have quite a good time. The only problem is getting home which is the biggest pain in the ass ever. If i haven't menitoned this before, jasmine and i live on this huge hill and walking up the hill at night is rather dangerous, meaning get home at night sucks. In the beginning of the trip we could catch a taxi home from UDASA, but lately there have been no taxis and we have to pay some guy to walk us home! ugh... We may end up just sleeping on the floor here, it's more fun than dealing with drunk tanzanians and scary bridges.
Anyway, that's life here. I can't believe the trip is pretty much over. After wednesday I will hopefully be hanging out with Elliot from Macalester in Arusha (where he lives). I don't really know what is going on with that, but it should be a good time even if we only hang out in arusha. After that it is switzerland for a week, and I may split that in half with a trip to berlin to visit lucie, that would be real sweet! anyway, hope everyone is doing well!

5 Comments:

Blogger tom said...

i love that picture, its always been one of my favorites. Im thinking of coming home for Tims graduation so I may see you there!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Wow your mom is really beautiful! You have her eyes. Hope you are enjoying your last few weeks in africa and then switzerland, how awesome. I am home now and can't believe that the last 4 months ever really happened. take care, kate

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a nice picture, Annie - and Sue is beautiful (looking at Kate's comment below - of course she could have added how good looking I am....). Anyway, let me know what's up with the next part of your trip. I want to hear from you when you get to Arusha, ok? Or on the way, or wherever you have a chance to write. Be good, Annie. Have fun. Love, Dad

5:49 PM  
Blogger jdawords said...

"Be good"? Ack. Be bad! I'm bad!

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Annie, that's a beautiful picture of your parents, though of course Sue was always beautiful. Miss you and all the Borton clan, hopefully I'll see you this summer? Love, Willa B

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home