Friday, May 05, 2006

Well I am now 21 years old, how ridiculous is that? I celebrated "african" style (not really) with a bottle of Zanzibar Delight, a pretty gross cocunut rum or something, it has the cooolest commercial which is the main reason Jasmine bought it. For the actual day (may 3rd, for those who were not aware), I did not really do much, just hung around and tried to digest the end of the shinyanga trip. In the evening, the group had one of our wednesday dinners, and we had a delicious cake for both mine and sara's birthday (her's was about a month ago and we've been celebrating it for most of that time, although I'm not exactly sure why). After dinner, and a few drinks of Zanzibar Delight, which is the Spirit of the Spice Island, we headed to udasa to have a beer or two. It was pretty fun, despite the hundred mosquito bites i got on my ankles and feet. It was all fairly low key and overall a good night.
Now I am supposed to start working on my final project. So far I have sat around thinking about it a lot, but have yet to put any of those thoughts into words. Maybe after this I'll start that (probably not).

In other news, the end of the tournament in Shinyanga was pretty crazy. I got to play soccer which was fun, except that most of my teammates had never kicked a ball in their lives. Luckily there were only a thousand people or so to observe all of this. The men's championship game was immediately after our game, so the stands were filled. The fans were very loud and highly enjoyed laughing at the game. Anytime someone missed the ball, the entire stadium would crack up. I was the only one who had actually played a bit, so anytime I was able to control the ball or do anything, a the crowd screamed in surprise. It was a bit overwhelming, and there were quite a few "she plays like a man" comments, a fitting end to the week! Before the game, Kikwete spoke which was kind of fun. I didn't understand it at all, but I got to sit in the jua kali for 4 hours listening to him! I also got to sit about 50 feet away, woo hoo. the next day i flew home, and I saw kikwete again at the airport, his plane was leaving at about the same time.

But now I am back in Dar, and very happy to be here! THe trip was a great experience, but overwhelming at times. Oh and I did see another white person, the day before I left, funny how much I noticed that! Anyway I gotta run.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

You play BETTER THAN a man. Happy 21 my soon to be roomie! kate

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home