Monday, March 20, 2006

I just wrote a bit of a blog entry and it got deleted, so keep in mind that I wrote something completely fascinating about 10 minutes ago and used up all the energy that would normally go into making stuff interesting.
What I wrote about before was my surprise that quite a few people here have never heard of Brad Pitt or the Beatles. Not only never heard of either of them, but didn’t recognize a picture of Brad Pitt or any of the Beatles music! Maybe that view was a bit euro-centric or whatever, but I still found it a bit shocking. On the other hand EVERYONE is obsessed with 50 Cent. Every Tanzanian male between 10-25 when talking about music brings up 50 cent and goes on about how cool he is. It’s pretty funny to hear them all rave about him. Other hip-hop/rap stars are well known too, but he is by far the favorite.
Friday night I went to dinner at a missionary’s house where we had delicious brownies and pizza! These two missionaries who play Frisbee with a group of us every Monday invited a bunch of us to dinner, and it was great! I really miss some American foods, especially desserts! The chocolate does not really taste like good chocolate, and I miss it a lot! So that was pretty nice. They also offered to introduce us to some of their friends and stuff at their church, so now I might go to church to meet people. Watch out, I might turn all religious and stuff over here! Wouldn’t that be an interesting change? If I really wanted I could go to Bible study groups too… I don’t think I’m ready for that. Speaking of church, my friends host-mom goes to a born again Christian church where people cry uncontrollably, fall down, and speak in tongues. Craziness. Oh and last night, Mama yangu, (my “mother”) was in her room and Jasmine and I heard her crying loudly and then singing which we eventually figured out was just her responding to the preacher on TV. This went on for quite a while, and I gotta say, it was a little freaky. But all seems fine now.
In other news, I have a midterm tomorrow morning which is why I’m writing a blog-entry. I’ve gotten even lazier here, I thought I didn’t do any work at Mac, but it is even easier to do no work here. I mean I’m complaining about a lousy midterm, pretty much the second thing I’ve had to do all semester. Geez, such a hard life! Luckily I was able to go to the beach yesterday to relax! But the beach wasn’t that great because it rained, but it was fun anyhow.
Okay, I think I’m actually going to study now (or fall asleep). Kwa herini!

3 Comments:

Blogger tom said...

50 cent? When I was there it was all about tupac. There were Tupac and Biggie Matatus everywhere.

1:27 PM  
Blogger jdawords said...

You may be "doing nothing," but you ARE doing a lot more writing and it shows. Fun to read this, I haven't visited with the Annie Borton blog in some time. The pop culture stuff is fascinating! 50 Cent!? I think that's plain weird. Not sure about the rollin-on-the-floor, speakin-in-tongues types, but not all church communities are bad or whacky. Frisbee with the missionaries sounds like fun! Keep compiling stories, AB. They truly get better when you get home and you say to yourself: I was in Africa!? Much love...James

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Annie,

I finally got to spend some time with you in Africa. Your blogs have been great, or are great. I just read through a bunch. Feel like I've been on Safari, and to the rain forest for a dip in the pool at the bottom of this wango amazing watefall. Figure out netball yet? I love the description ... street clothes playing women who are not particularly athletic. But the activity and the interaction with African women sounds really good. And the frisbee thing sounds fun and good, too. How was church?

I must say I find it almost depressing to think that 50 cent is the known American musician there! Is it all going to come down to MacDonalds, Wal-Mart and 50 cent!?! Oh, please.

You sound great. Sorry to be so out of touch. I literally have zero time most days to do anything but school, some action towards either moving (call a realtor or scoop out some corner of the house --- we had a yard sale last weekend)or finding a job in OR --- today was resume writing day: now that is torture!!!!!

You sound absolutely wonderful and I love the way you write. Can't get the pictures, though. I click and go to Kodak and sign in, but no pictures are there or appear. I saw the first couple of sets of pictures you sent --- did you send these the same way? Oh, well.... Soon I will see you in Berkeley and will see the pics in person with you there. Yeehah!

I'll try to visit more often. Think of you often. The church thing, with the tv and your mama's response sounds like North Carolina!

Love you!

Cindy

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home