Monday, January 16, 2006

I am currently sitting in the computer lab at the university of Dar es Salaam, it is a million degrees outside, luckily there is air conditioning and fans in here! We had our first kiswahili class this morning. I'll be having 4 hours of class a day for the next month, apparently it isn't that hard to learn... but we'll see. Tomorrow I move in with my host family, i don't know too much about them yet, i have met most of them though, there are three kids and the father is a lecturer at the university.
A couploe days ago we went to jangwani beach, a private beach which was amazing. of course i got a sunburn despite multiple layers of sunscreen, but it really isn't that bad. we're going back to the beach next saturday, i can't wait! Yesterday we went to the village museum, which has a bunch of examples of native houses and stuff. we got to see a native dance performance of a bunch of different tribes, it was very cool.
this afternoon we are going to Mwenge market, which is insanely busy, people sell everything you could ever possibly need, it is quite an experience. otherwise not too much is going on. the food so far has been great, the fruit especially, the weather has been hot but bearable, and the people have all been really nice. hope everyone is doing well, i'll try and put pictures up soon!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Hey annie,

happy to hear that you made it to tanzania! I´m quite jealous of your warm weather though. I´ve been bundling up minnesota-style here. Learn lots of swahili so you can teach me next year.

9:47 AM  
Blogger tom said...

photos! photos!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Robby Borton said...

Good to hear all is well. Bob and Bobbye are leaving on MOnday, then I have the house to myself! Well and Corina. I agree with Tom... Pictures too! Say hi to your family for me, and that I hope they put up with you well.

off to play soccer cause it's saturday...

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home